The oldest preserved castle in the cultural landscape of Potsdam originated as a country home which the Great Elector Frederick Wilhelm (1620 - 1688) gave his second wife Dorothea (1636 - 1689) as a gift. It served as an early baroque summer palace. The Foundation for Prussian Castles and Gardens Berlin-Brandenburg took over the administration of the architectural monument in 1995. It was extensively restored and opened in 1998 as castle museum. The exhibition documents the courtly development of art and the princely residential culture around the year 1700 with exhibits and well-preserved historical ceiling designs as well as paintings and stucco. The garden was designed following the plans of the landscape artist Peter Joseph Lenné.
Foto: Stiftung Preußische Schlösser und Gärten